Can Rabbits Eat Mushrooms?

No, you shouldn’t let your rabbit eat mushrooms. While some varieties are safe for humans to eat, they’re all toxic to rabbits. If your rabbit does eat a mushroom, you need to be proactive as there is a risk of an illness called mycotoxicosis which can be fatal.

If you suspect your rabbit has eaten a toxic mushroom, don’t wait for symptoms to show – you need to go straight to a vet. It could be the difference in life or death for your rabbit.

Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning

If your rabbit has eaten mushrooms, they may show signs that indicate that they’ve eaten something toxic. You can check out this guide from the RSPCA which indicates what you should do in these circumstances.

Always remove the source of the toxicity and then contact a vet immediately.

The following symptoms can indicate that your rabbit has been poisoned and is suffering from mycotoxicosis. If you haven’t already, you need to get to a vet ASAP.

  • Diarrhea: Soft or loose stools.
  • Breathing difficulties: Unable to catch their breath or breathing too fast.
  • Muscle tremors: Shaking, involuntary contractions of the muscles.
  • Convulsions: Rigidity and uncontrollable muscle spasms.
  • Dehydration: After not drinking enough water your rabbit may be lethargic and their droppings will be smaller and darker than usual.
  • Loss of appetite: No interest in eating, this is very serious as your rabbit should be constantly eating to keep their digestion moving.
  • Unconsciousness: If your rabbit is not moving but still breathing.

The faster that you get your poorly rabbit to the vet, the better their chances of recovery are.

How Can I Avoid Mushroom Poisoning in Rabbits?

While vets can sometimes help your rabbit make a recovery if they eat a mushroom, it’s far better if they’re not in that position to begin with.

Follow these tips to help you:

  • Don’t be tempted to give your rabbit any sort of mushroom. Even if you think it would be okay, you shouldn’t risk it.
  • Closely monitor your rabbit when they’re on the lawn. Wild mushrooms grow, particularly in damp, shaded areas. You can keep your grass mown short to help control wild mushroom growth.
  • Keep your rabbits away from parts of the yard where there are currently, or there have previously been, mushrooms. You can use an enclosure or pen to keep your rabbits in one place.
  • After removing mushrooms, thoroughly wash your hands. Don’t handle your rabbit’s food straight after touching mushrooms.

Can Rabbits Eat Cooked Mushrooms?

No, your rabbit can’t eat cooked mushrooms. They shouldn’t have raw mushrooms anyway, but on top of that, cooking mushrooms makes them extremely difficult for your rabbit to digest. Rabbits shouldn’t have any cooked or processed foods.

Can Rabbits Eat Canned Mushrooms?

No, rabbits can’t have canned mushrooms. No type of mushroom is safe for your rabbit to eat. Canned foods typically have preservatives that are also unhealthy for rabbits to eat.

Can Rabbits Have Any Part of a Mushroom Plant?

No part of a mushroom plant is acceptable for your rabbit to eat. Though the stalk and the cap are safe for human consumption, they would cause serious health issues if your rabbit ate them.

Can Baby Rabbits Eat Mushrooms?

No, your baby rabbit shouldn’t eat mushrooms. Aside from the fact that mushrooms are toxic to rabbits, baby rabbits shouldn’t have foods other than hay and special baby pellets from the store until they’re around one year old.

What Should a Rabbit Eat?

Your rabbit’s diet should consist mainly of hay, along with a variety of rabbit-friendly vegetables, fresh water, and treats. The most important part is unlimited hay for their fiber.

Leave a Comment